Wednesday, January 9, 2019

THE DAMNEDEST THING

The full moon was up the sky. 

Like a tag, hole-punched, it said fill your belly boy.

I loped along the edge of the field to a steaming manure pile. 
I sniffed in admiration.


On all fours I made for the point where the tracks formed a crossroads. 
A sign stood there, its pointing fingers seem panicked.

I reached the sign and I stared at the words through wild eyes: 
'Have your fill', 'Stay Here', 'Don't Change'.


A dog approached and whimpered. Its master called him from a distant wood. "Bluuuuue!".

Fortunately I wasn't hungry.

I made my way to the local Space Base and hid in the waiting shuttle. 
It was stuffed with young souls embarking on a new life.

At six am it launched - with me - inside the deep hold.

The millionth Christmas ship since 2030. 

Its destination: 

Mars.


I peered through the port and let the dead dark shrink my body back.
I was tired of changing.
I was hungry again.


Phobos and Deimos came into view as the shuttle screamed towards Mars and its bloated cities.


I changed for the very last time and gently growled.
My full howl could wait.


'Two moons', I gloated, 
'Two full moons!'

*



This short tale was inspired by Creepy and dedicated to my two Creepy-loving brothers.

4 comments:

  1. Certainly Creepy... not to mention Eerie. Forth and final pics are firm faves with this tale. Well done, Woodsy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies fr the late reply Tone. Still getting used to a second blog! Glad you liked it. It was my first effort and the start of what I hoped would be a cycle of classic Universal monster tales. The two pics you like are close-ups of a ceramic Japanese devil pot, which Bill B got me. I lit it up with a lamp.

      Delete
  2. You’ve still got your writing mojo! I really enjoyed reading this. Great stuff Paul & you even mentioned Blue! Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Steve. It means so much to me that you like this and the blog. This tale is dedicated to you and Eug and those fabulous Creepy and Eerie comics you got and I loved to read too! Yep, Blue is an inspiration on our walks. he often sniffs out foul things for me to write about!

      Delete