Wednesday, January 9, 2019

FACIAL

Tapping into unaccustomed vanity I visited the beauty parlour on the high street.

I sat and dreamt of the town's New Year Ball as the beautician came closer.

It was during a vampire facial when the first atomic bomb struck.

The world held its breath and ...

ignited.


The welding blast stampeded the crowded streets. 

I writhed in my chair like a worm dipped in boiling blood.


I was gorgonised. petrified. vulcanised. vampirised.

My tongue and teeth fell out.


I rose on trunks, lumbered through the bubbling wasteland and  ....  changed.

Cauterised, a screaming larvae, I stooped crusting like cursed slag.


I fell among the singed stumps and slept a lifetime. I hardened and .... 

felt new canines sharpening.



An age passed. The world had turned.

I awoke like a tree-root straining. I stretched my fossils. 

I was unnaturally thirsty. I wormed my way out.

My first victim was drinking vodka one night by the trees.

I drank him whole.


I creaked among the hedges and remembered a vampire facial long ago. 

I had wanted to improve my looks. I was bitten but didn't know it. 

The A-bomb did something else.


Now I wait in the soil by day, the rank earth soothing my smelted eyes. 

My thirst is growing again. I know what I must do. My new resolution.

Mushrooming dreams crackle and ossify like midnight fireworks.

When the last December night descends I shall listen for a stranger smooth of skin, rise swiftly and as my mouth widens whisper ...

Happy New Year.


The End

*



If you enjoyed this short story you may also like

No comments:

Post a Comment