Saturday, April 9, 2022

The Landing

It happened in the neutron blast. Boom. I was thrown onto the staircase.

I went downstairs and realised after a while that this was my past.

I headed back upstairs and it hit me. This was my future.

On the landing was the present but I was going nowhere. 

My future and past were fading and I had to make a decision. To complete my past or risk my future unravelling.

Downstairs my brother lay dying from the neutron bomb. I could save him if I went back. He was within reach. 

But upstairs I could hear his voice. Was he alive? How could that be if I hadn't saved him yet? I was frozen in time and space.

What should I do?

Secure the future and dive into the past and give him the antidote?

Or trust his reliable voice and know the future is the safest bet?

Then the second blast erupted and I was pulverised on those confusing stairs.

When I awoke, which I did, I was the one lying half-dead upstairs and it was my brother who stood transfixed on the steps undecided what to do.

He could hear me moaning in the room above but see me below making him breakfast.

The third blast threw me back onto the staircase staring down at my dying brother. He stared at me imploringly next to broken eggs.

"Brother!"

Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment